Monday, July 25, 2011

Don't Tell My Mother I'm in Iran



I have been taking classes in Farsi this summer and I've been enjoying it immensely. I think that the Persian language sounds so beautiful, but is even more gorgeous when it is written.


Our teacher explained to us that handwriting is very important in Iran, and those with beautiful penmanship are respected and envied. What an interesting contrast from America, where some parts of the country are opting to drop teaching children cursive altogether. I think this is very unfortunate. I realize we live in a digital age, and my own handwriting often comes out in chicken scratch scribbles, but I hope we never lose the art of a nice handwritten thank you note or a beautiful signature.


But I digress...I know many Americans only think of Iran in the terms of what we hear on the news, which is usually not a positive depiction. Rarely, however, do we have the opportunity to really see how those in other parts of the world live in their daily life.


"Don't Tell My Mother I'm in Iran" is an episode of a documentary series in which "host Diego Buñuel (grandson of legendary surrealist cinema filmmaker, Luis Buñuel) goes on a behind-the-scenes journey through regions with bad reputations." It provides a very interesting peek into the "real" Iran, vice what we see on the news! I definitely plan on watching the other episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment